BA (Hons) in Business
CAO Code: DB512
The BA (Hons) in Business is designed to give a clearly structured business education that provides a solid foundation for success in a business career. This programme provides a strong grounding in fundamental business concepts, ideas, practices and methodologies. Graduates will, upon completion of this programme, have the necessary knowledge, skills and attributes to enter the business world professionally and/or progress to a management role within a general or specific field or sub-field of business. Throughout the programme, learners will acquire business acumen to strategically appraise business opportunities and challenges and effectively integrate into decision-making roles with an organisation. The BA (Hons) in Business will create graduates capable of dealing with diverse intrinsic and extrinsic opportunities and challenges in the business world and do so in a creative fashion promoting business sustainability and growth. Graduates will be also be in a position to take up further Level 9 postgraduate studies.
Aims and Objectives
The programme aims to create a well-rounded business graduate whose insights will guide and inform strategic business decisions designed to increase productivity, profitability and an organisation’s value and market share.
The specific programme objectives are to:
- Provide learners with a strong base of contemporary business knowledge through theory, concepts and methods constituting an in‐depth academic grounding in the core disciplines and skills, and related areas, required for a career in general business.
- Imbue learners with appropriate expertise in the major aspects of the essential business disciplines and an awareness of the means by which the frontiers of the disciplines can be expanded and new knowledge appraised.
- Develop in learners a methodical and rational approach to business problem solving and decision making, with the capability to apply acquired knowledge and skills to practical business situations.
- Develop in learners a range of intellectual skills, encompassing reasoning and evaluative skills and communication skills that develop as fully as possible their interpersonal abilities.
- Develop learner capacity to organise information, argue, negotiate and defend conclusions and to present them in a clear and coherent fashion.
- Encourage learners to deal with knowledge in a critical and analytical way, with the capacity and confidence to evaluate ideas and opinions underpinned by qualitative and quantitative research findings.
- Provide learners with the opportunity to also specialise in a sub‐field of business learning and to increase their knowledge and skills in this specialised area of Management, Project Management, Human Resource Management, Information Systems, Cloud Computing, Psychology or Law. This specialism is in addition to the objectives outlined previously.