The massive growth of social media and smartphones in recent years, means that marketers need a strong skillset and knowledge base that is digital. Now marketers want the visibility and traceability that digital marketing affords. As an MSc the programme has a more scientific rigour to its offerings, emphasising accountability and strategic context.
Developed in conjunction with industry experts, this highly practical programme provides a broad based digital marketing award with a strong focus on cutting edge skills and practice in areas such as Search Engine Optimisation, Display Advertising, Search Advertising, Email Marketing, Affiliate, Web Design with WordPress, Digital Video, Analytics and much more.
Given how fast the digital marketing arena moves in terms of technologies and practice all modules are written with flexibility in mind. Students are facilitated in exploring new ideas and technologies where applicable. In this way, the program remains up-to-date with industry trends and best practice.
This programme accommodates a wide audience of learners whose specific interests in Digital Marketing may be either technically focused or strategy focused.
Aims and Objectives
This is an innovative programme with an integrated delivery from end‐to‐end covering a wide range of Digital Marketing topics. The programme aims to develop learners' knowledge of the theory and practice of Digital Marketing necessary for them to secure employment and perform at postgraduate level in the areas of ICT /Digital Marketing in a broad range of commercial, industrial and public sector environments. Graduates will have an in-depth knowledge of the practical and theoretical aspects of Digital Marketing. The programme enables and supports learners in developing critical analytical skills and developing skills in applying theoretical concepts to the practice of Digital Marketing.
The programme incorporates Personal & Professional Development (PPD) within modules to enhance the student’s employability, which will enable them to integrate seamlessly into an organisation by addressing skills such as leadership, self‐management and teamwork that are essential in the area of Digital Marketing. It also comprises a Research Methods integrated into the applied Digital Marketing modules, focusing on literature review, research technique, and their application to real life situations and data sets, how applied research and entrepreneurship are linked. These modules will inform the learner’s Dissertation, which requires the production of an artefact.
The specific programme aims are as follows:
• To imbue a critical analysis of the current and emerging theories of digital marketing, informed by up-to-date research and activity in the digital marketing field.
• To develop the practical skills in problem identification and solving, carrying out digital marketing activities of a marketing department.
• To provide a strategic perspective (incorporating multiple-viewpoints) and context for digital marketing in a modern organisation
• To develop an in-depth appreciation of modern data-driven metrics to marketing activities and how these can be generated and used.
• To develop in students the competencies to be a successful marketer in a digital marketing environment.
• To facilitate the development by the learner of applied skills that are directly complementary and relevant to the workplace
• To identify and develop autonomous learning skills for the learner
• Provide the learner with a comprehensive platform for career development, innovation and further study.
The minimum entry requirements for the MSc in Digital Marketing are:
A minimum Second Class Level 8 Honours Degree (2.2) in a cognate discipline from a recognised third level institution or,
An equivalent professional qualification such as MMII.
In addition, for applicants whose first language is not English and who have not undertaken their undergraduate degree through English the following is required:
The minimum requirement for a non-native English speaker is greater or equal to B2+ in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages for admission. Non‐EU applicants, residents outside Ireland/EU, must apply directly to the International Admissions Office at DBS. Further details regarding Non‐EU learners can be found in the DBS Quality Assurance Handbook (QAH).
"I chose DBS because of the variety of modules and location of college. I enjoyed my time in DBS greatly; loved the friends I made and the course camraderie. I played rugby for DBS, it was very enjoyable and well run by Fosi.
I would recommend DBS to other students - the experience has helped me to feel confident, the modules helped with relevant experience to lead me to my next step - a job in digital marketing."
Master of Science in Digital Marketing