BA (Hons) in Business Information Systems with Cloud Computing
The BA (Hons) in Business Information Systems and Cloud Computing degree recognise the critical role and importance of information technology at all levels in modern organisations. Students are exposed to systems analysis and design, database development, programming, web design and network management techniques. The degree prepares students for employment in an information systems (IS) related role in business, an area that has become one of the most dynamic in business.
In relation to the specific skills requirement in the area of cloud computing, a report by Goodbody’s Economic Consultants identifies that ‘the greatest benefit of cloud computing is as a source of exports, growth and jobs for the Irish economy’. This report also identifies ‘the need for additional marketing, sales and technical staff with the relevant skills for cloud Computing, and a need for training for their current employees’. This programme will provide students with a solid understanding in the technologies and languages that are used to design and develop applications for the cloud. They will also understand the fundamental concepts and architecture of cloud computing. Students will develop key skills in the use and application of current cloud computing platforms and how they are used to deploy web and other client applications to the Cloud.
Aims & Objectives
On completion of this programme, students should be able to:
• Understand the significant role of information systems in modern business
• Appreciate the importance of appropriate management of the IS function in organisations
• Demonstrate knowledge and critical awareness in the primary business disciplines and in the general field of information systems and its related technologies
• Display and use transferable, real world skills in a variety of business contexts
• Develop and evaluate the effectiveness of computer applications as solutions to business problems
• Display competence to deal knowledgably with general or IS specific business issues and develop effective solutions
• Demonstrate a high level of competence in using a wide range of IT hardware and software tools to an industry level standard
• Demonstrate knowledge and application of Cloud Computing in the general business environment
• Demonstrate skills and competencies in building web and mobile applications and the use of Cloud Platforms to deploy them in the Cloud.